Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Simply Amazing

My second post today, but this is too good in my mind to not pass on. The tech being demonstrated is Holographic display using Hogel techniques to generate a lightfield for true volumetric viewing of a static scene.

In short, the technique allows complete 6DOF viewing of complex geometric shapes or datasets, with the exception of extreme glancing angles; from my viewing, any angle less than 40 degrees off ground plane, no image is visible.

This video is from my cell phone, so I apologize for the quality, the in person viewing is spectacular however.

Special thanks go out to Pat Parker and Zebra Imaging for humoring my request to take some video of their technology.



Zebra Imaging

2 comments:

  1. That was really amazing. Wish I could have seen it in person. How do they obtain the image in the first place so they can convert it to Holo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They post process 3D geometry to develop/calculate the lightfield and then print that using hogels on the surface with a laser.

    The geometry in the video above is a LIDAR point cloud dataset.
    This youtube video does a good job of explaining LIDAR.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NxCfYkPYBI

    ReplyDelete