Thursday, March 15, 2012

Don't Scan Me Bro, the Unintenden Consequences Edition

While this is not related directly to the content of this particular blog, I did make a rather interesting and humorous observation today.

Today I flew out of SFO (San Fransisco International Airport) to return home to the east coast. As part of the TSA screening procedures and protocol, there are millimeter-wave scanning devices installed at the screening gates. For the five of you who don't know what these are, they are basically the baby brother of the real time xray scanners from Total Recall...
Its not a tumor!
Ok, hyperbole aside, the observation came after I had opted out of being radiated and was collecting my personal belongings, post TSA approved groping.

As I watched the other passengers who had gone through the device and were collecting their belongings I noticed something. I was relatively alone and segregated from the rest of the "mob" and had my own time and space to put myself back together, which was actually very nice. Instead of elbowing and jostling with other passengers for space and belongings, I actually saved time and significantly less stress by opting-out of the millimetere wave scan.

Of course this would all change if everyone else were to opt-out...


Millimeter Wave Scanner

No comments:

Post a Comment